Brundage was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1922 to James "Harry" and Bernice (Rischel) Gibson. She had one brother, Robert, and a sister, Bernice. She graduated from Teaneck High School in New Jersey in 1940. After earning a B.A. from the Pratt Institute, she began working in the comics industry.
She married her husband, William F. Brundage, in 1946. They had two daughters, Lynne and Ann, raising them in Hohokus, New Jersey. William died a month before Jean herself did in 2011.
- 4Most (1941) v6#3-4
- Blue Bolt Comics (1940) v7#12, v8#1-2, 4
- Egbert (1946) #8, 15
- Marmaduke Mouse (1946) #13
- Target Comics (1940) v8#3
- Grand Comics Database - 'Jean Brundage'
- Grand Comics Database - 'Jean Gibson'
- Kooiman, Michael and Jim Amash, The Quality Companion, TwoMorrows Publishing, 2012. pp. 85.
- Quality Comics Timeline
See Jean Brundage's entry on Bails' Who's Who of American Comic Books.